Library Board and Members
ENSHRINED IN DECREE NO. 29 OF 1970.
The functions of the Board shall be:
- 1. (a) to establish and maintain in accordance with this Decree the National Library of Nigeria, and
- (b) to provide in accordance with this Decree such services as in the opinion of the Board are usually provided by national libraries of the highest standing.
- 2. (a) to assemble, maintain and extend a collection of books, periodicals, pamphlets, newspapers, maps, musical scores, films and recordings and such other matter as the Board considers appropriate for a library of the highest standing,
- (b) to establish and maintain a branch of the National Library in each State,
- (c) to make the facilities of the National Library available to members of the public and others on proper terms, which may include provision for;
- (i) the imposition of a scale of fees, subject to the approval of the Commissioner, for services rendered to the public
- (ii) safe-guarding the property of the Board, and
- (iii) specifying the categories of persons who may be admitted to premises under the control of the Board;
- (d) to make such arrangements as the Board considers appropriate with respect to;
- (i) the exchange of matter included in the collection aforesaid,
- (ii) the preparation and publication of catalogues, indexes and similar aids,
- (iii) the provision of assistance to other persons in the organisation of libraries and with respect to the manner of using facilities under the control of libraries,
- (e) to make recommendations and give advice on library development or organisation to any department or agency of government of the Federation or a State or to any local government authority,
- (f) to be responsible for the development of the National Bibliography of Nigeria and national bibliographical services, either in a national bibliographical centre or elsewhere.
- 3. The Board shall have such powers as may be necessary or desirable for the proper exercise of its functions; and in particular, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, the Board may-
- (a) sue and be sued in its corporate name,
- (b) acquire, hold and dispose of movable and immovable property in general, and in particular;-
- (i) acquire, construct, maintain or repair any property required for the purposes of the National Library, and
- (ii) Let on lease or otherwise dispose of any property which appears to the Board to be unnecessary for the time being for the purposes of the Board,
- (c) do anything for the purpose of advancing the skill of persons employed by the Board or the efficiency of the equipment of the Board or of the manner in which that equipment is operated (including the provision by the Board, and the assistance of the provision by others, of facilities for training, education and research),
- (d) provide houses, hostels and other like accomodation for persons employed by the Board:
- (i) for purposes specifically approved by the Board as being likely to increase the effectiveness of those persons in the service of the Board, or
- (ii) otherwise for the purpose of exercising the functions of the Board
- (e) to make loans to any person employed by the Board for the purpose of building a house, purchase a plot of land on which a house for such a person may be built or purchase a house for the residential use of any such person or his family, and
- (f) otherwise promote the welfare of persons employed by the Board
- 4. Subject to this Decree, the Commissioner may give the Board directions of a general character or relating generally to particular matters (but not to any individual person or case) with regard to the exercise of the Board of its functions and powers, and it shall be the duty of the Board to comply with the directions.